Many sellers think they still don’t have equity in their homes and are surprised to find out they can sell their home and walk away from closing with a substantial check. Foreclosures are down, but there are home owners that get behind in their mortgage payments, receive a foreclosure threat, and give up. If you know anyone in this situation, they should talk with an experienced real estate agent as soon as possible. There are more options available earlier in the foreclosure process than later, and it is sad to see a homeowner lose their equity because of a job loss or change in life.

Many septic systems need to be updated to sell, and this has been holding some sellers back. There are options available where the seller doesn’t need to come up with the cash before closing, as some sellers don’t have $10,000-$20,000 to pay out of pocket.

The Chisago Lakes Area has a lot of seniors looking to move off the lakes and into one level living with less maintenance and less stairs, but they are not ready for a nursing home. Many of these homeowners are in their late 80’s and 90’s and their homes may have laundry and mechanicals in the basement, the bedrooms maybe upstairs or the bathroom isn’t near the bedroom. Now that they have the equity to sell and purchase or rent a one level home, they are finding there isn’t enough inventory available for them to move to.

With home prices up, it is a great time to sell your home, but it may sell quickly and you may be hard-pressed to find a place to move. It is a good idea to explore your options before you put your home on the market. Find a community where you would like to live and determine if it is possible to purchase or reserve a home before you sell.

An experienced real estate agent can estimate your selling proceeds and give you options on where to move and how to best accomplish your goals.

Ask the Real Estate Agent is a weekly column by Cheryl Kempenich of Coldwell Banker Burnet, who lives and offices in the Chisago Lakes Area. Submit your questions to All information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. For legal assistance consult an attorney.